[ih] looking for dates for pup and tcp

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 27 08:24:34 PDT 2005

At 11:29 PM 4/25/2005, Ian Peter wrote:
>Folks, I am wondering if anyone can help me with identifying two dates:
>1.      the first operational connection using PUP protocols linking Xerox
>Parc and Arpanet or other networks
>2.      The first operational connection using TCP linking Arpanet, the
>packet radio net and the packet satellite net.

[Ian - from Cerf - I'll let you know if Metcalfe responds]

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 10:41:13 -0400
From: "Vinton G. Cerf"
Subject: RE: [ih] looking for dates for pup and tcp
To: "'Adrian J. Hooke'" <Adrian.J.Hooke at jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: Metcalfe

Nov 22, 1977 for packet radio, packet satellite and Arpanet

We had pairwise links before that, as early as 1975 but the 1977 date was
first three network test.

As to PUP, I would suggest checking with Bob Metcalfe, copied.

Vint
Vinton Cerf, SVP Technology Strategy, MCI
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115
Ashburn, VA 20147