[ih] Re: internet-history Digest, Vol 2, Issue 4

Andrew Russell arussell at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 27 13:48:08 PDT 2004

Lloyd (and all) -

Given this discussion, you might enjoy a chapter by Amy Slaton and
Janet Abbate called "The Hidden Lives of Standards: Technical
Prescriptions and the Transformation of Work in America," in the book
"Technologies of Power: Essays in Honor of Thomas Parke Hughes and
Agatha Chipley Hughes" (eds. Michael Thad Allen and Gabrielle Hecht,
The MIT Press, 2001).  The authors argue, "To see the full range of
labor implications of standards, it is necessary to look at the actual
processes involved in putting standards to use.  By uncovering the
labor required of the people who implement, test, and deploy
standardized products, this study demonstrates how standards can, in
some instances, become a means of intensifying white-collar labor and
an opportunity for self-made experts to assert authority."  (I can't
find this article online, but you might find that it's worth a trip to
the library). They look at the 1983 TCP transition and the growth of
Interop (among other things) to illustrate their arguments.

The general point is that specification of standards is a vitally
important part of the story, but it's only the beginning.
Implementation (by people who, unfortunately, as Joe points out, aren't
as fastidious in keeping and maintaining records) is another important
part.  Well-trained historians (like Slaton and Abbate) know to look
for additional evidence (archived or otherwise) that might show who
else was involved beyond what is recorded in RFCs, etc.  Internet
history isn't simply "who invented what."  For example, Urs von Burg's
book "The Triumph of Ethernet" (Stanford UP, 2001) shows that the
history of Ethernet doesn't stop with a biography of Robert Metcalfe.

Another good study that argues this general point is Greg Downey's book
"Telegraph Messenger Boys" (Routledge, 2002). He also wrote an
excellent article (particularly relevant to this topic) called "Virtual
Webs, Physical Technologies, and Hidden Workers: The Spaces of Labor in
Information Networks" in the journal "Technology and Culture" (Vol 42
No 2 April 2001, pp 209-236 - at
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/technology_and_culture/toc/tech42.2.html,
but alas you'll need an individual or institutional subscription).

As for the general concern (expressed by Joe, Bob, and others) about
disappearing archival sources on the industry side, David Kirsch at the
University of Maryland is working hard to try to preserve records and
memories of failed dot-com firms. See http://businessplanarchive.org
and http://www.dotcomarchive.org. If archives tend to disappear when
Company A is bought by Company B, they *definitely* disappear when
Company A's assets become the property of bankruptcy trustees.

Andy Russell
History of Science and Technology
Johns Hopkins University