[ih] Re: internet-history Digest, Vol 2, Issue 4

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Sep 27 11:36:52 PDT 2004

    > From: Lloyd Wood <l.wood at eim.surrey.ac.uk>

    >> academics, who participated heavily in the development of the Internet
    >> anyway,

    > ...as their written records attest...

Ahem. You may be making a joke, but I can't tell. If so, please excuse my
lack of humour about this topic.

Anyway, if you were serious, then some of the pople on this list WERE THERE,
and although our memories may not be perfect, it's pretty simple to
demonstrate the makeup of the early Internet Working Group during the
formative years (76-78 or so).

As I run down a mental list of the people *I personally* remember being around
in '77-'78 (Vint Cerf, Bob Kahn, David Clark, David Reed, Jon Postel, Bob
Braden, Danny Cohen, Ray McFarland, Jim Forgie, Jim Mathis, Jack Haverty, Bill
Plummer, Ginnny Strazisar, Radia Perlman, David Mills, Ed Cain, Peter
Kirstein, Andrew Hinchley, John Shoch - and apologies to those whom I've left
out), and of all of them only *one* (Shoch) was not either i) an academic, or
ii) someone at a DARPA-funded contractor (such as the people from SRI and
BBN).

If you could jog my memory by providing the names of any commercially-funded
people involved with the project in this time period, that would be useful.

        Noel