[ih] ARPA initial IMP-IMP line speed

Toru Nohzawa , nohzawa at w-tri.com
Wed Feb 25 03:19:37 PST 2004

Thanks Mike,

According to the 1987 BBN report you mentioned, "Bell Data Station 303-type"
supports 230.4K, 50K, 19.2K with internal clock  selection. Therefore If
IMP did use Bell Data Station 303-type,  50K was reasonable.
(By the way, what is "Data Station 303-type" ?  We know Bell 103, 212 as a
modem. So "303" could be the analog modem we are talking about, I hope. )

Yes, I know  Waldrop's "The Dream Machine" mentioning 50Kbps. But his
description of  "The idea was that you bought a very expensive modem that
tied twelve lines together"  causes me some confusion. The straight forward
interpretation of the sentence is "AT&T provides 9.6Kx12lines". But the word
"idea" sound something like "analogy". Then, the sentence could be
interpretable like  "actually 50K but analogous to 9.6x12". In addition,
9.6x12=115.2, 9.6x6=57.6. It doesn't agree with 50K.
Therefore, I think this portion of the book gives some confusion to the
careful non-modem-background readers.

I recommend we have better to describe the Iine speed of IMP-IMP at 1969
more clearly such as  " 50Kbps through the specially ordered analog
wideband.least line" , to avoid confusion with current 56K voice band modem.

Toru