[ih] Global congestion collapse

Ted Faber faber at ISI.EDU
Wed Dec 15 08:57:32 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:11:26AM -0800, Joe Touch wrote:

> Craig Partridge wrote:
> >>Either way, though, it was pretty shortly thereafter that I remember
> >>getting my first replacement .o files with yummy new TCP congestion
> >>control algorithms in them.
> >
> >That would have been Van's TCP mods (described in the SIGCOMM '88 paper).
> >It was astonishing how big a difference they made.
>
> Not to downplay the utility of Van's variant, but it seems like _any_
> congestion control would have (or may have - e.g. Dave's mods) made an
> astonishing impact.

There's a fundamental difference between an e2e control like Van's and a
queueing system like Dave's.  One reduces load and one reallocates
scarce resources to the more deserving.  While sophisticated queueing is
undeniably helpful, the end-to-end control a necessity.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc