[ih] Global congestion collapse

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Dec 13 20:37:30 PST 2004

Perry,

Not so fast. Steve Wolff of NSF and I had a nasty little secret we did
not tell the NSFnet maintenance crew who could never keep a secret. I
built in priority queueing and preemption in the fuzzball routers. The
former wiretapped the telnet port and made it just below NTP on the
priority scale. We put mail on the bottom just below ftp. A lot of
telnet users stopped complaining because they thought we "fixed" the
network.

The other thing was to shoot the elephants. When a new packet arrived
and no buffer space was available, the output queues were scanned
looking for the biggest elephant (total byte count on all queues from
the same IP address) and killed its biggest  packet. Gunshots continued
until either the arriving packet got shot or there was enough room to
save it. It all worked gangbusters and the poor ftpers never found out.

Dave