[ih] Global congestion collapse

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Dec 13 17:05:50 PST 2004

Perry,

Well, if your incident was during 1986-1988 and involved transit of the
NSFnet Phase-I backbone, I'm the perp. The NSFnet routers ran my code,
which was horribly overrun by supercomputer traffic. I found the best
way to deal with the problem was to find the supercomputer elephants and
shoot them. More is in a 1988 SIGCOMM Symposium paper. More recently the
USNO and NIST time servers are being overrun with NTP traffic. See my
recent PTTI paper at www.eecis.udel.edu/+mills/papers.html.

The NSFnet meltdown occured primarily because the fuzzball routers used
smart interfaces that retransmitted when either an error occured or the
receiver ran dry of buffers. The entire network locked up for a time
because all the buffers in all six machines filled up with retransmit
traffic and nothing could get in or out. As I recall, the ARPAnet also
had a similar problem with reassembly buffers.

Dave