[ih] Spam

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Sun Sep 28 20:07:30 PDT 2003

Please see my post earlier this month regarding this question:
http://www.postel.org/pipermail/internet-history/2003-September/000361.html

Note that in the entire month of September there have been 3 spams, and
there was only one in August.

To address your specific points:

Kevin J Dunlap wrote:

> Mailman, the list server used to manage the Internet-History mailing list,
> will block postings from e-mail addreses that are not subscribed to the list.
>
> Is there a policy reason for the option not being enabled for
> the Internet-History mailing list?

Yes. To enable legitimate posters to participate without requiring them
to subscribe from every account from which they choose to post. The same
policy is in effect on all lists at postel.org.

> Why does this list allow e-mail posted by addresses that are not subscribed
> to the list?

The above.

> This looks like an easy way to block the spam that gets posted to this list.

Blocking spam has been balanced against raising the hurdle for
legitimate posters. For lists at postel.org, we have decided that the
hurdle of a 'subscriber only' policy is unacceptable.

> Can the Internet-History list be configured to not allow postings from
> addresses not subscribed tot he list?

We have chosen not to do so, and again encourage those not satisfied
with the amount of spam on this list to use filters on their end.