[ih] re joyce reynolds

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Oct 9 11:46:20 PDT 2003

FWIW, since her web page is under reconstruction:

gfscho at wm.edu wrote:

> Dear IH list:
>
> Joyce Reynolds is a co-author in many of the RFCs that Postel
> authored.
>
> Could anyone shed more light for me on what her role was,
> exactly? Was she an engineer working with Postel, a general
> assistant to Postel, or other?

Assistants aren't listed as co-authors, AFAIK, in general. ;-)

Nor do they travel the globe participating in their own right in the
IETF, or providing keynotes at various technical conferences. ;-)

She is an ISI researcher, one who worked with Jon Postel for many years,
and worked and continues to work with Bob Braden and the 60+ other
people in USC/ISI's Computer Networks Division: http://www.isi.edu/div7

My own perception of Joyce's influence on the Internet is
compartmentalized; perhaps the number of different areas in which she
participated contributes to the confusion.

At least one partial view is that she:

	- co-author (where author=content) of many RFCs with Jon

	- is a key component of the "RFC-Editor" position,
	  which is more than one "person"

	- was a key component of IANA before and partly after
	  its handover to ICANN, which was also more than one "person"

	- helped define and lead the IETF User Services area

I hope that helps...

Joe