[ih] Re: internet-history digest, Vol 1 #159 - 1 msg

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Nov 13 17:51:25 PST 2003

Bob,

>>Does anyone have any detail about the operational history of this
>>Telnet Option?
BB> I don't have an answer to your question, but I am wondering how RCTE differs
BB> from the currently-defined Telnet Line Mode (?) option. Without checking, I
BB> have always assumed that RCTE was a subset of Line Mode.  Was Line Mode

Other way around, mostly.

Line mode is much simpler, predictably because it is using with larger
chunks and a single terminator.

RCTE let the server define two sets of terminators, and an action for
each.  One set was for echoing (up to any of a set of separators) and
the other set was for transmission chunks (up to any of another set of
separators.)

So the difference in complexity and power is substantially different,
although yes, you could do line mode with RCTE.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>