[ih] Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 14 17:03:47 PST 2003

John Day wrote:

>>> This is not the case and has not been the case with other groups.
>>
>> There are some people (myself included) who will cease to publish
>> drafts. That decreases (by definition) the set of what is published;
>> to the extent that others care, it will further decrease that set.
>
> Somehow I doubt that ;-)  but statistically I think you would find that
> the number who would not submit contributions would be insignificant.

OK - so we disagree on what might happen.

>>> I have not noticed that the fact this material is available in the
>>> group's paper trail has any effect on the amount or quality of the
>>> contributions.
>>
>> That's nearly impossible to measure. We have no series that was
>> explicitly not archived then archived to compare. All we have are
>> different communities right now.
>
> Actually, not true.  If you look at IEEE, T1, ISO, ITU, ANSI, ABA, IEC,
> and many other groups you will find that such paper trails exist and
> perhaps not readily available they are available.

That is not a metric. You are not citing groups that changed policies;
they were archival from the start. Agreed that they have open exchange,
but by design.

>>> No the problem we have is there is a void.  To modify an old adage,
>>> those who can not know history are doomed to repeat it.  Actually now
>>> that you mention it that may explain alot.
>>

>> There always was, and continues to be a path for publication that some
>> draft authors have chosen and others have not. Draft authors can
>> always submit documents for Informational RFC; some have, others have
>> not. Although there are some submissions which have been rejected
>> (every system has its minimum standards), overall we already have a
>> solution to this problem, and it doesn't involve archiving all drafts
>> for historical purposes.
>>
>> I agree that the world is less informed by not having the intermediate
>> forms of "the Shining", e.g. That is as it has been - the choice of
>> the author. All we do by archiving drafts is to take the ephemeral
>> track away.
>
> This is not at all the case.  Science is a much different process than
> writing a novel.  The exploration of the domain of inquiry and the
> process by which it takes place is as important as the final answer.
> More often than not the process may provide more understanding for the
> next problem than the answer ever will.

That may be the case, but it is the authors' decision, absent a-priori
arrangements of a forum (e.g., this forum is archived, and that is known
by participants when they sign-up).

IDs are a place where exploration comes without the threat of persistent
archives of proposals, _by design_. As mentioned before, there are
plenty of other archival forums, including RFCs themselves.

Joe