[ih] Cluster Addressing and CIDR

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Jan 14 13:19:50 PST 2003

At 07:34 AM 1/14/2003 -0800, Joe Touch wrote:
>Authors will cease to present partially-complete ideas. There will be
>fewer work-in-progress drafts. There will, in summary, be less of this
>'good or bad' research to preserve.

This claim raises two issues:

1. The assertion that "authors will cease..." unless things they write are
deleted from institutional memory (or at least not actively preserved) is
falsifiable by straightforward experimental evidence.  There is no need to
claim it without proof.   It does indeed remind me of the idea that the
POTUS and his office should be immune from sunlight in their contacts with
lobbyists, etc. lest those lobbyists be unwilling to share their true views.

2. Shouldn't the authors be given the choice to preserve in an archival
form their thoughts, along with all other IDs, etc. in such a way that
makes it much less work for historians and students of design options to
understand old proposals?