[ih] RE: Dec 1969 meeting and Telnet

John Day day at std.com
Tue Feb 25 10:29:17 PST 2003

At 13:11 -0500 2/25/03, Steve Crocker wrote:
>Yes, that's exactly right.  It was quite impressive.  I didn't mean to
>slight their work by saying they passed files back and forth.

Didn't think you were.  I wasn't even sure if I remembered that right!  ;-)

>Now that I think about it, I recall Jeff Rulifson saying the process was
>*faster* than doing it entirely locally on the SDS 940 machine because
>it didn't burden their poor disk as much.  That is, it was faster to
>send the file to Utah and get back the result than it was to read and
>write on the local disk.  I forget the rest of the details, but it's
>probably worth dredging up.

;-) that is great!  Do remember why they were doing it?  Was it that
Utah had a Tenex and SRI was getting theirs and in the meantime were
compiling stuff in Utah?  Can't dredge that up.

A year or so later, we were developing an OS for a PDP-11 and were
compiling in San Diego and downloading to the 11 in Illinois.  Then
all we could do was flip switches at the console or force a dump to
the printer!