[ih] forwarded post - need help on history of A-Root server's delegation

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Aug 19 17:01:23 PDT 2003

(forwarded on behalf of charles.simon at cigref.fr)

PS - some gaps inserted by my rewrapping tool; blame me if they're in
the wrong place

-- Joe Touch
    Postel Center Director
    USC/ISI

-------------------------------

 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm new here so please forgive me if I break any written or unwritten
 > rules (didn't find any of those 2 on the website anyway). English is
 > also a foreign language to me so pardon my French.
 >
 > I'm currently working at the Cigref which is a French CIO's
 > association (www.cigref.fr). Some of you may know my boss, Sébastien
 > Bachollet, as he is the one reviewing the latest gTLDs'
 > introduction's process for ICANN (fell free to flame on). At the
 > moment, I'm finishing a short paper on the Internet for our members
 > to get a clue on what ICANN and other Internet's actors do and do
 > not. As we were reviewing the latest version of our work, one
 > question rose: who gave NSI/VeriSign the authority to manage the
 > A-Root server?
 >
 > After 3 days working on it, I came up with a little story and I'd need
 > someone to validate it. I Hope some of you could help me out.
 >
 > So here goes the story as I get it based on official documents and
 > some quick e-mails with people from AT&T.
 >
 > In 1998, the Internet Green and White Papers state that "currently,
 > NSI operates the A root server" but it is merely a fact, it does not
indicate when the delegation first took place. Then the Amendment 11
 > to the Cooperative Agreement Between NSI and the U.S. Government
 > authorized NSI's continued operation of the primary root server. It
 > looks and tastes like a renewal of delegation from the USG to NSI
 > but, then again, it doesn't say when the A Root server's management
 > was delegated in the first place and, most importantly, by whom.
 >
 > I found some writings saying the A root server's delegation to NSI
 > came down from the NSF/NSI Agreement (Cooperative Agreement NO.
 > NCR-9218742) effective from January 1, 1993 on. Someone who was part
 > of InterNIC on behalf of AT&T also thinks it came down from there. He
 > remembers the first day of operation as being 4/1/1993 with
 > presentations later at the IETF plenary session in Columbus. I
 > couldn't check it myself, the Columbus meeting was the 26th meeting
 > of the IETF and the proceedings served on IETF's site start only with
 > the 29th one.
 >
 > What bugged me in this story was that the Cooperative Agreement only
 > aim at registration services and, on October 19, 1992, in the course
 > of discussing its agreement with the NSF, NSI published a so-called
"Proposal for Network Information Services Manager(s) for NSFNET and
NREN" which led to InterNIC to be formed (see it there:

http://www.base.com/gordoni/thoughts/dns-control/rs.internic.net/nsf/nis/proposal-toc.html).

 > In this proposal, it is said (see section K of the proposal): "Network
 > Solutions [...] manages the domain root server for the entire
 > Internet".
 >
 > So I guess they meant the root system, right? So it mean NSI manage
 > the root system before 1993, still right? At the same time, somewhere
 > else in the proposal (Appendix B), it is said NSI was only a
 > subcontractor to Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) and
 > handled the root system for military uses. After scratching my head
 > quite a bit, I came to the conclusion the meaning of some terms used
 > in the Cooperative Agreement changed in the course of time. Like the
 > term "registration" was pretty much wider at the time that it is
 > today so it mislead me to wrong conclusions when reading the
 > Cooperative Agreement. The result of the Cooperative agreement was
 > indeed to delegate the root's management to NSI directly and for
 > non-military uses when NSI did actually manage it before but under
 > indirect contract with the DISA and for military uses.
 >
> This theory goes along quite well with Article 3.A of the Agreement
("The Awardee shall provide to non-military internet users and