[ih] Re: anyone remember when the root servers were hi-jacked? (fwd)

Craig Simon cls at rkey.com
Tue Nov 12 11:42:14 PST 2002

I'm including Jon Postel's response to my request for a copy of the
original message he sent out initiating the so-called "test."  The note
he sent me included three messages.

It's important to note that the first of these messages -- a statement
to the press -- refers to a test. So does the last of these -- an
operational directive sent to various operators of root zone secondary
servers -- in which Jon stated, "The root zone transfer verification
test has been completed."

However, the directive initiating the action (apparently there was an
earlier email which included the same text, but without a PGP signature)
does not refer to a test. Instead, Jon announced a "small step" in the
"transitions" of the Internet's "management arrangements." Nothing was
said about testing or an expected reversion back to the original
arrangement.

One can argue the case that there were some technical and administrative
aspects of testing going on, but to stress that what occurred was really
a technically-oriented test is to obscure the fundamentally political
nature of Jon's action. Calling it a test of power would be more on
target, but that characterization oversimplifies things as well.

Furthermore, I have a taped interview in which Ira Magaziner says that
during their famous phone conversation, Jon Postel proposed the idea of
using the word "test" as a face saving gesture.

Yes, the message to the press refers also refers to a "transition" as a
justification of the test, but in my judgment, the language is highly
finessed. The statement hints that the "verification" was performed in
support of the government's desires, but it certainly was not. We know
this for certain, in light of the response from the government's officers.

Also, to respond directly to Dave Crocker's note: If the directive was
justified on the basis that NSI was on the verge of "going rogue," then
why even bother to call the directive a test? I'm aware of the very
longstanding worry in some circles that NSI might do such a thing, but
it would be useful to see any documentation that might have prompted the
perception that -- just as the Green Paper was being released --
*URGENT* action was necessary, either to pre-empt NSI, or to be ready
"just in case."

Without such documentation, it's hard to uphold the position that Jon's
primary motivation was a defensive move against possible action by NSI.
And, for what it's worth, his statement to the press makes no mention of
that worry.

It is fair to assume that the USG's agents would have been rather tough
on NSI if it had added any "rogue" zones to the root. I would also infer
that the USG's strong threats against Postel served to constrain NSI's
willingness to risk "going rogue" thereafter.

I agree that the main players of the USG didn't have a particularly
strong technical understanding of how the DNS operated. This largely
explains their reticence to permit operational changes, even as they
interrupted the "engineering community's" own administrative processes.
The government's mantra was "stability," after all.

Magaziner, Burr, et al were willing to intervene because, in their view,
that commmunity's processes had less than nominal legitimacy to
determine the deployment of such important resources.  But questions of
responsibility and legitimacy are a different matter.