[ih] Re: anyone remember when the root servers were hi-jacked? (fwd)

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 12 16:56:45 PST 2002

Randy,

Randy> although core's bumbling naivete might have lead
Randy> folk to that conclusion.

Core?  Core was almost entirely focused on their organizing and technical
work at that time. They had almost no presence in the political processes,
at that point.

Perhaps you mean the POC? If so, indeed naivete was a problem. We kept
working with the government folks and actually believed the encouragement
they offered.  Magaziner blew us off somewhere around mid-97.

Randy> amazingly enough, the dns/root/... issues were getting good support
Randy> in dc against the at&t/dec/ibm big corporate alliance.  the
Randy> engineers were actually somewhat ahead.  it all collapsed in two
Randy> days.

We were getting good support from folks other than Magaziner.  Magaziner was
openly dismissive of techies.

In fact he had already discarded the IANA work, roughly six months earlier
and he almost explicitly cited the AT&T and IBM folks.

The test was shortly after the IETF was in DC and we held a tutorial for the
government folks.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker  <mailto:dhc2 at dcrocker.net>