[ih] Origin of 'talk' command

L. Peter Deutsch ghost at aladdin.com
Tue Dec 24 11:53:13 PST 2002

Sorry, I no longer remember enough of the details of the 940 system, and I
discarded essentially all the documentation I had years ago.  The only
facility I remember at all like 'talk' was pseudo-TTYs, and a SNOBOL4
implementation that used them to implement fully programmable scripting in a
style similar to Tcl's 'expect'.  I don't even remember what year this
facility was implemented: I'm only sure that it was before I moved to Menlo
Park in 1971.

As it happens, I ran into Lee Felsenstein from Resource One at a concert a
few weeks ago.  They had a donated or cast-off 940 that they were trying to
set up as a community resource in the late 1960s or early 1970s.  It's
possible that he might still have some 940 documentation.  I don't know
where to find him, but I met him in Palo Alto so it's likely that he lives
in the area.

--

L. Peter Deutsch     |    Aladdin Enterprises   |  203 Santa Margarita Ave.
ghost at aladdin.com    |  http://www.aladdin.com  |  Menlo Park, CA 94025

   No government censorship of software!  Oppose the CBDTPA!  www.eff.org