[ih] Re: ARPANET Telnet design story

David C. Walden dave at walden-family.com
Thu Dec 19 09:30:06 PST 2002

Hi,

I am back home now, and can respond to your message.

I don't think I see the following paper on your list
of sources:
"The ARPANET TELNET Protocol:  Its Purpose, Principles, Implementation,
and Impact on Host Operating System Design," by J. Davidson, W. Hathaway,
N. Mimno, J. Postel, R. Thomas, and D. Walden), Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE
Fifth Data Communications Symposium, September 1977, pp. 4-10 to 4-18;
reprinted in A Practical View of Computer Communication Protocols,
John M. McQuillan and Vinton G. Cerf, IEEE, 1978, pp. 244-253;
also reprinted in Innovations in Internetworking, Craig Partridge (ed.),
Artech House Inc., 1988, pp. 322-330.
This was a fairly comprehensive statement about
Telnet as of the time the paper was published.  (I initiated
writing this paper, and Bob Thomas and I primarily wrote it
with the inputs and repeated reviews of the other authors.)  If you don't
have a copy, I can make a copy and send it to you.

I will also pull together and send you a separate message describing
in his own words (from prior email messages I have from him) how
Bernie Cosell came up with negotiated options on a cocktail
napkin during a plane trip he and I were making to UCLA
to meet with others in the ARPANET community,
how he did a blackboard and hand-waving explanation
at the UCLA meeting, how I promised meeting attendees
that we would document the idea, and how he and I documented
the idea and provided it as input to the then-happening revision of the
Telnet spec.

Best regards,

Dave

--

home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537; ph/fax=508-888-7655/4168
web site = http://www.walden-family.com/dave