[ih] Usage of the name NIC

John Day day at std.com
Tue Dec 10 04:59:06 PST 2002

At 11:59 +0100 12/10/02, Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:
>Greetings:
>
>I am looking for history of usage of the name NIC.
>Do you have any souvenir/note/email when the name NIC
>started to be used by countries (ccTLD) ?
>
>I digged old RFCs (and even old paper Sun OS document ...),
>no doubt about SRI-NIC at the origin, what I am interested
>is the history of "nic" used by its successors.

NIC was the Network Information Center aka Doug Englebart's group at
SRI using NLS.  The NIC had a whole system set up for handling
ARPANet documents.  At one time I had a NIC handbook with all of the
information.  You could access all of the document through NLS.  You
might want to speak to Jake Feinler.

Take care,
John Day