[ih] Author's inquiry re: PLATO/CERL/ARPAnet

Brian Dear brian at platopeople.com
Wed Dec 4 15:12:43 PST 2002

To the internet-history list:

I'm writing a book on the history of the PLATO system, developed at the
University of Illinois from 1960 through the 80s, and funded by ARPA, ONR,
and NSF as well as Control Data Corporation.

I'm interested in hearing from Internet pioneers who were familiar with
PLATO, had seen PLATO demos, knew people who worked at the CERL lab, or
otherwise have information, opinions, or anecdotes about the PLATO
system.  The PLATO story is for all intents and purposes completely
unknown*, as there has never been a book that details the whole story of
not only the people behind the system and how it was designed and built,
but also, and more importantly from my perspective, about the "culture"
that grew up around PLATO almost overnight in the early 1970s and turned
into a rich, vibrant online community that was to be profoundly influential
to thousands of people from all walks of life.   Many user-to-user
communications capabilities taken for granted today were either created or
were first widely used on the PLATO system: instant messaging, chat rooms,
email, message forums, MUDs and other multi-player games.

See www.platopeople.com for more info on my book project.

Any info, recollections, anecdotes, or opinions about PLATO from
Internet/ARPANET old-timers would be welcome and appreciated!

Thanks,
- Brian

Brian Dear
PLATO History Book Project
La Jolla, CA
brian at platopeople.com
www.platopeople.com

*for instance: Out of the thousands of RFC documents, the ONLY RFC document
that is not available online in full-text form in any of the RFC
repositories is RFC600 -- a December 1973 proposal on how to connect an
"Illinois Plasma Terminal" to the ARPANET....  I finally got a copy of
RFC600 but it took some hunting.