[ih] One man's view of Internet history

John Day day at std.com
Mon Aug 5 11:15:42 PDT 2002

At 10:28 -0700 8/5/02, Joe Touch wrote:
>Hi, all,
>
>As a reminder, there are a number of people who subscribe to this
>list who don't always have sufficient context to follow some of
>these very interesting threads.
>
>I would encourage anyone who is interested to post a brief note
>explaining any item that might be of future use to this list; these
>will be collected into a FAQ eventually.
>
>Newbies are encouraged to check with Google or their local bookstore
>in advance of posting a question; that said, there are certainly
>some items which would benefit from additional information - e.g.,
>protocols no longer in common use, e.g., HEMS, CMIP, or some of the
>meetings that don't have notes on-line, e.g., the IAB Kobe meeting
>[e.g., what month, year, etc.]

Good point!  I had thought those were sufficiently recent that it
wouldn't be necessary but you are probably right.

To wit, a year or so ago I was asked to comment on RFC101 which were
minutes of a Network Working Group meeting in 1970.  I found that I
had to translate them for the journalist.  But my favorite cryptic
line was:

"SRI is porting NLS to an IMLAC."

All of you really old guysl keep quiet!   Anyone want to guess at the
translation?

Take care,
John