[ih] One man's view of Internet history

John Day day at std.com
Sun Aug 4 15:36:36 PDT 2002

A couple of quick comments and maybe I will get to a longer
consideration later.

First, the Illinois group put Unix up on the net in the summer of 75
and by the next spring we had a stripped down Unix running on an
LSI-11 with a plasma screen and a touch panel that was also on the
Net.

Bob is right about how we use to look down our noses at the mainframe
systems!  ;-)  Anything that smacked of mainframes (half duplex,
polling, etc) was regarded in much the same way that telephony
solutions are regarded today!   But Operating Systems were our model
for solving problems. One of the things I carried away from the
excitement of those early protocol design was the ability of the
group to take these dichotomies and find a true synthesis of them.
It wasn't just one OR the other or smack the two together as most
standards committees do today, but truly finding an abstraction that
integrated the two.  I am afraid that we have lost that ability.

I was surprised to see in the 2nd edition of Radia's book something
to the effect of "if you don't like NATs you should have gone with
CLNP, it was in the routers and ready to go."  Hard to say what not
handling that juncture right (whether the answer was CLNP or not) has
cost us.  Emotions were running pretty high at the time.

The Europeans really killed OSI.  There is their general view that
"if we build it they have to buy it." and designing to a point 15
minutes in the future.  They were so intent on the idea that X.25 was
the only answer to everything.  I can't imagine how we would have
supported the web on such a thing. And it continues.  Look at
Bluetooth from an architecture and protocol design point of view.
(Something that even the articles critical of Bluetooth never touch
on), it is one of the worse and most short sighted designs I have
seen in 20 years.  WAP is the same!  (Someone gave me a paper on WAP
and I looked at for about 10 minutes and said THIS IS VIDEOTEXT!)
;-))  Was Pouzin's CYCLADES group the only ones who knew how to
design protocols!?

However, there were some good results from the OSI work in terms of
understanding some of the theoretical underpinnings of addressing and
upper layer architecture.  And as you say, ES-IS was a good piece of
work as was IS-IS.  However, since it was done there it has been
pretty much lost, not even the academics have bothered to try to
understand what was in there.  Although, I am told that much of the
OSI management stuff has turned up in the SNMP work.  (Another of our
mistakes.  HEMS had much more potential than either SNMP or CMIP.)

Take care,
John