[ih] One man's view of Internet history

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun Aug 4 14:18:31 PDT 2002

At 12:14 PM 8/4/2002 -0700, Bob Braden wrote:

>Hi.  Last year I gave a talk here at ISI on my very personal
>view of the first 31 years of Internet history.

Bob, Thanks!

Not sure whether you or others are interested in discussing different
perspectives.

Your slides on architectural principles are particularly striking, to me,
because we seem to have so few references to those principles.

I was intrigued by your sense of the IAB Kobe decision on CLNP (OSI).

My own sense at the time was that OSI was effectively already dead and that
the IAB decision was the final attempt to salvage something from it.  (Had
there been a real, public process considering alternatives, it is not clear
that CLNP should have lost.  The preemptive nature of the IAB decision
overwhelmed that technical discussion with an IETF identity crisis.)

d/