[ih] FTP design

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Aug 3 04:14:50 PDT 2002

I remember all the things you do John (but my connection to the FTP design,
pre-internet as it was, was through Ken Pogran, who did the work for it on
Multics).   I'd just like to add my comment that "separate control and data
connections" was hardly a mistake.   It was very much on purpose, and for
exactly the reason that John points out.   Rather than invent a magical
"out of band" feature in TCP, which would have multiplied the congestion
control complexities, as well as introducing problems of mixing data and
control coding schemes, just using two connections was simple.

As far as the directionality of streams, one idea that was contemplated was
the idea of having control host A create a transfer from host B to host C,
while not having a control connection from B to C.

Finally, but Ken Pogran can clarify this more if you talk to him, FTP's
multiple connection scheme was somewhat hard to implement in Multics
security model, but rather than have Multics influence the design, the
Multics guys figured out how to generalize the connection notification
mechanism to get this to work right.