[ih] Internet History

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Sep 8 07:13:33 PDT 2001

I realize this may be an obnoxious question, but it would be interesting to
determine when (I assume in the 1980's) the community of Internet
architects decide that copyright was an affirmative tool in controlling who
is allowed to know what about how designs proceeded?

In other words, when did a strategy for design discussions other than total
transparency first get proposed and when was it taken seriously?

Unlike what seems to be happening here in the Internet community, most
discourse in science pursues the value of complete openness, with limited
exceptions.  Any attempts to close scientific discourse (holding closed
meetings, refusing to share data for review, ...) are resisted by culture
of science.

Apparently not so here.  IMO it's too bad, YMMV.  But the "new culture"
seems to have thought it useful to have a copyright mechanism jammed right
in the middle of the dialog, to control who can know and use various shared
ideas.

[copyright is useful for some things, but I explicitly renounce all rights
to limit use of this message, in whole or in part, for perpetuity].