[ih] Crossposting History

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim rms46 at vlsm.org
Tue Sep 4 21:05:00 PDT 2001

Gentlepeople,

Since this is an "internet-history" list, I don't believe that
the copyright issue should be discussed here.

Since I am receiving multiple copies of the same email; I am just
wondering on how was the history of cross-posting. Why do people
cross post?

Possibilities:
- it is more confinement just to hit "R"
- you don't use .procmail?????
- it is faster to send a direct mail, compared through the list
- other....

This following is the oldest norm that I could find (from the
NAMEDROPPERS list)

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
===========> .signature at http://rms46.vlsm.org/1/36.html

POSTEL at USC-ISIF -- 2 November 1983 -- NameDroppers

Namedroppers Policy

Hi.  Please review this policy statement (para 3 particularly).  --jon.

*** begin ***

This NAMEDROPPERS mailing list is to be used for discussion of the
concepts, principles, design, and implementation of the domain style
names.

The main focus of this group is the review of documents describing
domain style names.  These documents will move through several stages.
The discussion in NAMEDROPPERS will be the earliest, subsequently the
documents will be made avaliable and discussed in other forums, and
eventually they will appear as RFCs.

While one of the advantages of computer mail and mailing lists
mechanisms is fast response, in this list we prefer to go a little slow
to ensure thoughtful discussion.  In general, one should let some time
go by (say, a day) between first reading a message and composing a
response.  Even during periods of intense activity on this list one
should probably not send more than one message per day.  Typically this
would allow one to discuss several other contributions in one message.

On the other hand, this is a list for participants in a discussion, not
observers.  Everyone on the list is expected to contribute from time to
time.

Nearly everyone in NAMEDROPPERS is also on HEADER-PEOPLE and also on
MSGGROUP.  There is no need to send a message to both NAMEDROPPERS and
either of these lists (and certianly not both!).

   To get on or off NAMEDROPPERS send your request to
   NAMEDROPPERS-REQUEST at SRI-NIC.

   To get on or off HEADER-PEOPLE send your request to
   HEADER-PEOPLE-REQUEST at MIT-MC.

   To get on or off MSGGROUP send your request to
   MSGGROUP-REQUEST at BRL.

In fact, when sending to NAMEDROPPERS the only address needed is
NAMEDROPPERS at SRI-NIC.  If you are responding to a particular comment by
someone he or she will get the message without being explicitly
addressed, and you will get a copy back too.