[ih] Re: Copyright Violation Claim

Ole J. Jacobsen ole at cisco.com
Tue Aug 28 19:50:44 PDT 2001

The issue of copyright on RFCs and I-Ds comes up over and over and over
again on this list. Would you please read past postings on this topic.
It has been pointed out MANY times that there are specific reasons why
the copyright statements are the way they are. The statements have nothing
whatsoever to do do with "ownership" of the documents in the traditional
copyright sense. This applies to all RFCs regardless of publication date.
All of these documents are "public" and "distribution of this memo is
unlimited". The copyright statements are in place to prevent people from
MODIFYING documents and claiming the modified docs have the same status
as the original.

Do we really have to discuss this yet one more time??

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal