[ih] Simple question

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim rms46 at vlsm.org
Mon Aug 20 02:01:39 PDT 2001

Joe Touch wrote:

>>> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/dragon/nph/digital_archive.html

>> - make sure that that URL last... forever... there are
>>   already too many dead URLs floating around.
>> - perhaps ISOC or PCEN would like to host that archive on a
>>   permanent base?

> Hosting the archive at PCEN is feasible (if desired),
> but I'm not clear on why it would necessarily be more persistent
> there than at UTexas (UT's been around longer than PCEN :-)

Although UT's been around longer than PCEN, it does not always
mean that they are going to keep and maintain that URL.

Yet another example.
Suppose someone (actually myself :^) is (was) interested in
what was going on in Boston 1992. Thus, he put a bookmark to
http://info.internet.isi.edu/IAB/IABmins.910108.Arch and/
or a webpage that points to that URL. But kaboooom, somehow
that page has been moved without notice to
ftp://ftp.iab.org/in-notes/IAB/IABmins/IABmins.910108.Arch
and who knows where that page will be the year after.

> All URLs are unfortunately not persistent.

Sure, but at least the URL address would be more stable if
there is a commitment to make it so from the beginning.

> (anyone have an 8" floppy? or 5.25"?)
Yup, there were a 68k Dual 83/20 and the early version
of Data General "Eagle" MV/8000 with 8" floppies. And not
mention Digital's RL-02 saucers.

Whoops, this is not related to Internet History :-).
But, I still have no idea on since when and why exactly
there exists "a 6 months expire limit" for Internet Drafts.
Perhaps it is related with the disk capacities in
the 1980s?

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
- GET /default.ida?ZCZCNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN%u9090