Microsoft, please protect your stacks (was Re: [ih] ... stack?)

James P. Salsman bovik at best.com
Fri Aug 3 19:19:09 PDT 2001

David,

Thank you for your message which I guess started from the
internet-history list, not the ietf discussion list.

>... Lots of programs compile code into a temporary buffer and then execute
> it.  The most interesting ones that I know of are in graphics support,
> where various bitblt's and other highly parameterized, highly loopy code
> process a lot of data.

So, locking the stack against execution would slow graphics applications?
Maybe someone should let Intel know, since they are having a hard time
convincing consumers that 2 GHz > 1 GHz.  It is pathetic how audio
applications have been ignored.  Swaying my opinion would require a
different example.

> Putting the temporary buffer on the stack is *good*
> design, not bad - using a static buffer requires unnecesary locking, and
> allocating with malloc() means handling the possibility of an "out of
> memory" in a sensitive part of the system....

On the contrary, there is nothing wrong with a seperate code stack in its
own segment.

Cheers,
James