[ih] Dan Lynch has passed away

Barbara Denny b_a_denny at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 31 22:50:33 PDT 2024

 I never went to InterOp but I kinda remember Jim Mathis telling me about it starting. Wasn't it originally called TCP Bake Off?
Very sad to hear about his passing.  Condolences to all his family and friends.
barbara
    On Sunday, March 31, 2024 at 01:39:39 PM PDT, Craig Partridge via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

 On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 1:45 PM Karl Auerbach via Internet-history <

> Dan was a great person.

> In Monterey, at one of the early TCP/IP Interoperability gatherings -
> around 1987 - I remember overhearing Dan and Craig P. having lunch and
> discussing network control and management.  From that came the push to
> develop protocols like SNMP (and HEMS and CMOT) and instrumentation MIBs.

That kind of interaction is what I remember best about Dan.  Somehow,
whenever we were in the same town, he and I usually managed to find a few
minutes (or in rare cases, a meal) for a quiet discussion.  Usually Dan
helping (mentoring) me -- I'd see a technical challenge or issue and be
trying to figure out how to get it fixed.  Dan would invariably have wisdom
to impart and encouragement too.

I like to think I sometimes returned the favor.  At the 2nd Monterrey
conference, Dan was trying to figure out a better name for his
workshop/conference and was running some names past me.  I liked one of
them and so, as we parted, I said "See you at InterOp!"

Craig