[ih] OSI and alternate reality: settlements

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Sat Mar 16 19:30:56 PDT 2024

Greg Skinner via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> imho, what made the Internet a resounding success was the "flat rate
> and sender keeps all cost nature" of connection -- i.e. the lack of
> "settlements" for traffic transited between interconnected networks as
> is the case with the PSTN and was the case with the interconnected X
> networks...  there was A Very Pivotal Moment in Internet history
> where... that almost didn't happen ...

This was something that Mitch Kapor was concerned about too.

Shortly after forming EFF, Mitch joined the Commercial Internet Exchange
and became its Chairman.  This was largely to understand the issues
among the tiny new commercial ISPs, around Acceptable Use Policies and
settlements, and to help the nascent ISP industry make some good
choices.  Here's a note that he sent to com-priv in April 1992, noting
that the CIX had adopted a "no settlements" policy for the interim, and
asking to learn more about how settlements had worked in other networks.
Dave Farber forwarded this inquiry to his Interesting-People list on the
same day.

At the time, CIX had 7 small members.  In the following months, Mitch
also helped to cross-connect CIX with ANS (which ran NSFnet), allowing
the NSFnet regionals to use ANS as an access network to reach the
customers of CIX members (like me on Alternet).  See the excerpt from
his June 1992 INET speech, appended below.

	John