[ih] OSI and alternate realiv

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sat Mar 16 17:03:45 PDT 2024

As I recall, Videotex was in the works in SGVIII when the Europeans hatched the agreement to ditch the CCITT Reference Model effort and CCITT would develop jointly with ISO, around 1980 or 82. (a big mistake as I have said). SGVIII basically laid out their header format and drew lines where they wanted layers.

Of course, they didn’t want a Transport Protocol (or one they could ignore) because Videotex would be outside their monopoly and subject to competition, hence TP0. They also didn’t want anything to do with Presentation or the Application Layer.  They were the ones advocating for an API at Session Layer that when they got done with it had nothing to do with creating Sessions. Actually, giving SGVIII the Session Layer may have been part of the deal. It wasn’t a good idea but then I haven’t seen anything from ITU that was a good idea.

WAP was especially hilarious. The original Videotex was killed by technology moving faster than they thought, which was basically what killed WAP. You would think they would learn. But then I have always said that ITU plans for a window of opportunity 15 minutes in the future.

By your logic, am I to conclude that anything the PTTs backed was OSI?