[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 52, Issue 5

odlyzko at umn.edu odlyzko at umn.edu
Fri Mar 15 09:02:07 PDT 2024

Well, we may have to continue disagreeing.  My argument
is that while the OSI/CCITT people did indeed try to
come up for complicated protocols for each application,
this would not have worked.  The 1966 Carterfone decision
limited (at least in the US) what the telcos could do,
and in any event, the bulk of data communications, up
until the end of the 1990s, was carried not by the
public Internet, but by corporate private line networks,
X.25, Frame Relay, and the like, where the telco had
no insight into what was being carried.

At the time of the Netscape IPO in 1995, which by many
accounts was the start of the Internet bubble frenzy,
most individuals were online through services like
AOL, CompuServe, and Prodigy.  Here the telcos only
saw the modem calls from the home to the central office,
where it was handed off to AOL, ...  Now AOL and its
competitors switched to TCP/IP, but had that not been
available, they likely would have adopted something
else, again out of the telco control.  So there would
have been delay there, and of course more delay since
AOL, ..., tried to maintain their walled gardens, so
it would have taken some time to figure out how to
interconnect those services.  But, even though it would
have been clumsy, I expect it would have happened.

Andrew