[ih] Failures of the early Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Jan 20 11:28:11 PST 2024

Hi Scott,

You might be right.   I still have a vague recollection that the two
sites were somewhere in the SouthEast US, perhaps Carolinas or Georgia.
But I'm sure that the incident I remember was not unique. One thing we
learned about routing was that slight changes could have dramatic and
unexpected effects on how the overall system behaved.

At the time of your story, EGP was probably in effect and the "core"
gateways insulated from "fake news" from the world outside.  So the
"service" part of the Internet was protected from, yet still
interoperable with, the "research" parts of the Internet, with all
pieces of The Internet insulated into a handful of separate Autonomous
Systems.

That was the intent and goal of the concept of Autonomous Systems and
the EGP protocol - to keep the core service reliable while enabling lots
of experimentation (especially in the hyperactive Fuzzy Universe), to
resolve the outstanding issues and fold the resulting new algorithms and
protocols into the next generation of TCP/UDP/IP/ICMP/GGP/etc.

Of course, that's not what happened.  ASes became a basis for growth
instead, and there are now thousands of them.  The Internet followed its
own path.

Jack Haverty