[ih] Dave Mills has passed away

Greg Skinner gregskinner0 at icloud.com
Fri Jan 19 14:59:11 PST 2024

On Jan 18, 2024, at 5:35 PM, vinton cerf via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> His daughter, Leigh, just sent me the news that Dave passed away peacefully
> on January 17, 2024. He was such an iconic element of the early Internet.
> Network Time Protocol, the Fuzzball routers of the early NSFNET, INARG
> taskforce lead, COMSAT Labs and University of Delaware and so much more.
>
> R.I.P.
> vint

I wish I’d gotten to know him better.  I remember having a short conversation with him at the March 1987 Interop in Monterey about the SRI reconstruction protocol and some other things.  But the discussions he had on the tcp-ip list with John Nagle, Van Jacobson, and some others regarding the Internet congestion problems occurring at the time really made an impression on me, personally and professionally.  [1]

—gregbo

[1] https://groups.google.com/g/mod.protocols.tcp-ip/c/KhQVHnVF3-Q/m/BB4mTSLkJFYJ