[ih] Not a Milestone in IPv4->IPv6 migration..?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 11:14:15 PST 2024

It's worth noting that there are people with a vested interest in high prices for IPv4 addresses, and therefore a vested interest in *slowing* the adoption of IPv6.

There are also literally thousands of netops people in small or medium businesses and small IPSs for whom the move to supporting IPv6 is seen as an unnecessary expense. Until there is real practical cost in *not* supporting IPv6, this won't change.

It's a bit annoying that IPv4 allows ~4 billion addresses. That is enough to allow a stable state in which about half the world has upgraded to bigger addresses. If the limit had been much lower, say ~500 million addresses, we'd be close to 100% IPv6 deployment by now.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter