[ih] Tell me about host names and 3com

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 16:53:41 PST 2024

On 18-Jan-24 12:02, John Gilmore via Internet-history wrote:
> Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>> If I am an entrepreneur musing about writing a new mail system, both
>> clients and server, totally from scratch with no use of existing
>> libraries or such, is there any place where I can find the complete
>> set of specifications for what my new software has to do in order to
>> interoperate with the rest of Internet email?
>
> In short, no.

It turns out to be a hard problem, which the IETF has been aware of
at some level for a couple of decades, but has never solved.

For a slice of history, please glance at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-newtrk-repurposing-isd/
which the IESG failed to find consensus on. (Partly my
fault, because I was IETF/IESG Chair at the time, but the
conflicting opinions appeared to be irreconcilable.)
There's a worked example that covers a couple of corners
of the email problem as it was 20 years ago:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-newtrk-sample-isd/

> The "Host Requirements" and "Gateway Requirements" RFCs from 1989 were
> originally intended to gather a lot of the miscellaneous changes into a
> small number of documents (including a bibliography of the basic specs
> like IP, TCP, and SMTP).  However, it has been a long time since new
> versions of these compendia came out,

In fairness, IPv6 Node Requirements is close to up to date and is being
revised again at present: https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/bcp220

But if you don't find the following link scary, you are braver than me:
https://github.com/becarpenter/book6/blob/main/20.%20Further%20Reading/RFC%20bibliography.md

    Brian