[ih] Tell me about host names and 3com

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jan 17 13:02:00 PST 2024

All of these acronyms and RFCs (such as referenced in recent
announcements of imminent new rules for sending email) are pretty
confusing.   Some things are "standards"; others are "draft standards",
and some are just "standards track".

If I am an entrepreneur musing about writing a new mail system, both
clients and server, totally from scratch with no use of existing
libraries or such, is there any place where I can find the complete set
of specifications for what my new software has to do in order to
interoperate with the rest of Internet email?

How do I sort through thousands of RFCs to figure out what's actually
important?

Or do I just build something as yet another silo.

Jack Haverty

PS - No, I'm not going to write another email system...but maybe someone
will.   Perhaps a new-fangled quantum computer program that can generate
spam at rates never seen before?   Powered by AI of course...