[ih] Tell me about host names and 3com

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Jan 16 12:22:02 PST 2024

On 1/16/2024 12:07 PM, Greg Skinner via Internet-history wrote:
> https://marc.info/?l=namedroppers&m=95837781926844&w=2

Stellar:

> This whole discussion is begining to remind me of the "ask not what
> your computer can do for you, ask what you can do for your computer"

-For MCI Mail (shortly before the time of this thread) we let user's
choose their own login names.  And permitted multiple users to have the
same name.  (We assigned disambiguating passwords.)

We needed to parse the names for prefix and postfix strings, to find the
actual name.  So, obviously, Mr. Mrs. Ms. were easy to parse.  As was
Equire, MD, PhD, and MA.

And considered a rule that a name had to be more than 2 characters.

Until we realized the problem both of these actions would be a problem
for Yo Yo Ma.

d/

--
Dave Crocker