[ih] Endliss misconceptions about Email reliability

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Jan 16 11:27:10 PST 2024

On 1/16/24 06:59, Chet Ramey via Internet-history wrote:
> If they want to use email to communicate with customers -- and they
> do, for
> whatever definition of customer you like -- they also want to know to
> make
> that pay off with engagement (and, of course, donations).

You might consider this behavior as seen by the other side -- do
"customers" want to use email to be flooded with a firehose stream of
marketing campaigns, political messages, requests for donations, social
media posts, and other email they didn't ask for and don't want?

Personally, I have separate mailboxes that I use whenever I'm forced to
provide my email address.  I receive hundreds of messages per day on
those addresses, and every few weeks I just delete them all. More
precisely, my computer downloads them all and deletes them.  I wonder if
the sender thinks I read them.

For my "real" mailboxes, I do also get unwanted email but it's usually
easy to recognize and I simply tag it as spam.   If it happens
frequently enough, I set up an automatic filter to do so. I also avoid
using "unsubscribe" buttons or links, since that seems to sometimes
simply confirm that an actual human has read the message, tagging my
email address as a more valuable target for marketing.

People I know have similar strategies to try to handle their incoming
email and "separate the wheat from the chaff".   It would be interesting
to know what kind of effect such behavior has on the metrics of "success
of email campaigns", and whether or not anti-spam techniques actually
reduce spam, or perhaps instead increase it because more emails still
result in more success.   In the datagram world of the Internet, if your
packet gets lost, you simply send it again.  The same philosophy might
be (is?) used in email.

Collectively we call this "spam", and IMHO it's been getting worse over
the years, triggering a flurry of "anti-spam" and "privacy" efforts,
which have unfortunate side-effects affecting reliability of email.
Coupled with the effects of misinformation and disinformation, the SNR
(Signal/Noise Ratio) of The Internet has been dropping.  IMHO.

Curiously, a similar effect has been occurring in telephony, with the
advent of "robocalls", and various efforts to control them. Like email,
there is essentially no marginal cost to making another phone call.  My
bill for my phone is the same, no matter how much I use it.

For the historians...

Back in the early days of email (early 1970s), I was involved in a
research project with JCR Licklider at MIT, exploring the potential of
the then-new Arpanet.   Since Lick was a psychologist by training, we
explored some of the non-technical aspects of networking, and in
particular "human-human communication" such as email.   One of the
conclusions was that it would be important to have some kind of
"negative feedback" to prevent abuse of the technology - i.e., some
"cost" of sending email to suppress the gluttony fostered by "all you
can eat" designs.

We explored the concept of "stamps" for email, analogous to the postal
system, as well as other concepts like "registered" or "priority" mail,
with appropriately different costs.  Costs didn't have to be monetary -
simple constraints such as a limit on the number of messages per hour,
day, or week could also provide the negative feedback of backpressure.

Sadly, such mechanisms were not popular, and deferred for some future
version of email.   Fifty years later, sometimes I wonder if all of us
sitting at our desktops, laptops, or smart devices are the actual users
of The Internet.  Or are we the products whose attention is being sold
over The Internet to the legions of companies and organizations that
think of us as their customers?

Jack Haverty