[ih] Endliss misconceptions about Email reliability

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 18:18:35 PST 2024

On 16-Jan-24 15:02, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 5:27 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> And is this really different from snail mail? There's the
>> International Postal Union, but living in NZ with frequent need to
>> communicate with the rest of the world, one thing the pandemic showed
>> me is that the international snail mail system is not viable under
>> stress (and it hasn't fully recovered even now).
>
> The question was not about efficiency or efficacy, but control.
>
> In the US, it is a federal offense to put anything through the mail slot
> by anyone other than the postal service.

Many countries abolished the Post Office monopoly years ago, or never even had one.

Well, yes, governance... what I was saying was that there is no governance of the postal system at international level - the IPU is not a governing body - and the Internet is no different, and I hope never will be.

    Brian