[ih] Email reliability

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Jan 14 10:32:58 PST 2024

It will likely reduce spam, but also disrupt real email - in particular
any email that travels using any mailing list (like this one).   The
effect comes not from the new rules for "bulk senders", but rather from
the mail servers changes to their filters for handling incoming mail,
especially the rules that classify mail travelling through mailing lists
as inherently suspicious.

 From Amazon's blog announcement:

"For example, /gmail.com/ will be publishing a quarantine DMARC policy,
which means that unauthorized messages claiming to be from Gmail will be
sent to Junk folders."  It's likely that yahoo and others are taking
similar steps, effective sometime in the next month or so.  Depending on
exactly how they set it up, the effect might be that all email from any
mailing list will be automatically classed as spam, or even just
silently deleted.

I suspect lots of "mailing lists" will sustain such "collateral
damage".   Anyone who sends or receives their email using a gmail or
yahoo address will likely discover that they are effectively cut off
from using this list (and probably others).

I'm on several mailing lists (isoc, groups.io, googlegroups, ...) and
haven't seen announcements from any of them about imminent changes.  Nor
have the "email providers" (yahoo, gmail, etc.) said anything about
their plans' effects on mailing lists or groups. Perhaps they're just
not aware of what's happening?...

Jack Haverty