[ih] Fwd: Early History of the Internet

Greg Skinner gregskinner0 at icloud.com
Thu Jan 11 21:52:36 PST 2024

forwarded for Barbara

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Barbara Denny <b_a_denny at yahoo.com>
To: internet-history at elists.isoc.org <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 10:38:19 AM PST
Subject: Re: [ih] Early History of the Internet

 TCP didn't work very well over SINCGARS which was a port of packet radio protocols to the SINCGARS combat net radio.  Our project was focused only on the network radio node issues (below transport). To do a demo we decided to use some app that used TCP.  There was retransmission at the link layer
but other things made that slow (perhaps channel acquisition? ).  Just to get through the demo I had to turn off all protocol support in the network for loss packets. That made me think cross-layer interactions were important but  it took many more years before work in that area.

barbara