[ih] Early History of the Internet

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Jan 9 17:24:00 PST 2024

On 1/9/2024 1:00 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> The conceptual leap forward happened, as far as I can tell, in
> ~1974 thanks largely to Pouzin and it became reality in 1981
> (or a little bit earlier if you admit uucp).

uucp was, essentially, an single integrated network, with source
routing. And I guess PARC was doing gatewaying/translation between
Arpanet/XNS peers, rather than unified internetworking, in the 70s.

While packet-level inter-networking took some more time, it's it's worth
noting that email-level internetwork was pretty active by the latter
70s.  Again, PARC, but then, I think, Berkeley's delivermail/sendmail.
MMDF was doing it for Army Materiel Command and then CSNet from 1979.  I
don't remember the details of Bitnet's gatewaying to Arpanet mail.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking