[ih] Early History of the Internet

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 17:15:28 PST 2024

Brian,
Bob Kahn and I were working on the interconnection of networks starting in
1973. The first I saw the idea of dropping the underlying networks and just
using routers with IP knowledge to build a network was when Cisco System
announced their router design. Maybe Pouzin had that idea (no distinct
network below the gateway) but I think all our implementations tended to
have some kind of underlying network. Even the Ethernets had gateways (and
ARP for the hosts). I thought Cigale was the packet network and it had an
underlying routing system (did it?) and that hosts and gateways would be
needed to interconnect the networks. Of course, Pouzin had only the one
CIGALE network (kind of like the Arpanet but with fixed datagrams rather
than variable length message transport. ) I don't recall that he was
working on a multi-network system?
vint

On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 4:00 PM Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <