[ih] The Decline and Fall of Internet Email?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 01:08:38 PST 2024

one of the biggest barriers to running a mail server at home was the
need for working reverse dns, which is generally only available via a
corporate subscription, and often not even then. Other updates to the
dns made dynamically became very difficult in the past two decades.

https://www.arin.net/about/corporate/annual/reports/2022_auditorreport.pdf

I was bemused to discover today in the above report, how much running
reverse dns cost out of their budget. 150k/yr.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 1:06 AM Lars Brinkhoff via Internet-history
<internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> Jack Haverty wrote:
> > FYI, I was JFH at MIT-DM.
>
> In the interest of internet history, isn't it the case that the official
> ARPANET host name was MIT-DMS?  The Dynamic Modeling System.  Earlier it
> was MIT-DMCG (e.g. RFC 475), Dynamic Modeling and Computer Graphics.
> The computer was fitted with an Evans&Sutherland LDS-1 display system,
> and a dozen or so fancy Imlac minicomputers working as vector graphics
> terminals.
>
> Internal to the operating system the machine name was DM, and all ITS
> systems had two-letter names: there were also AI (Artificial
> Intelligence), ML (Mathlab), and MC (Macsyma Consortium).

40 years of net history, a couple songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RGX6QFm5E
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos