[ih] Ancient mail question about 551 and 251 reply codes

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Feb 12 12:54:02 PST 2024

In the early 1970s, Licklider's work at MIT pursued his vision of a
"galactic network" in which users' computers would interact with other
users' computers over a wide-area network to help the users do
everything they do in life.  Human-human communications was part of that
vision, initially instantiated in email implementations. Lick's group at
MIT built such a mail system; I built the server component.

As a model, we used what we knew, which was the US Postal System. Our
projects called it "messaging" to avoid any conflict with the "snail
mail" bureaucracy which had a mandated legal monopoly on "mail".

IIRC (been a long time...) the Postal System at the time had several
means of handling people who had moved.  First class mail was forwarded
to the new address for a year or so.  Less-important mail was returned
to the sender with a label indicating that the addressee had moved.

I don't remember, but I was probably lobbying for the 251 and 551 codes
to be added to the official protocol, as a way to mimic the behavior of
the snail mail system.  My server also probably sent those messages out
during SMTP interactions, and may have done something with any such
errors it received (at least reflecting the error back to the original
sender).   I do remember that our users would get error reports as email
from the message server, e.g., to report that a message remains
undelivered after trying for a while (days) but the remote host was
consistently down.   I recall spending some time to make such messages
"user friendly", e.g., something like "Excuse me, but you might want to
know that your message concerning <subject> that you sent on <date> has
not yet been delivered."

I don't recall that we ever actually received any such errors from other
SMTP systems on the Arpanet.   Few other systems seemed interested in
going beyond the very basic mail functionality that had started as a
simple addition to FTP.  Our mission in Lick's group was to research
human-human communications.  Other sites on the network were focused on
other research topics.

We also lobbied for electronic "stamps" as a way to provide some
back-pressure as a limiting mechanism for spam.  No one like that either.

If you can find archives of the "HEADER-PEOPLE at MIT-AI" mailing list, it
would be a good source of such historical artifacts about email.

Jack Haverty
(MIT 1966-1977)