[ih] Various tests

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Feb 10 12:23:05 PST 2024

It appears that touch at strayalpha.com <touch at strayalpha.com> said:
>It's going to the list archives.
>
>But this may be the downside of the new config - whether anyone gets a given message depends on EACH SENDER”s email coupled
>with EACH RECIPIENT’s requirements.
>
>For a list about Internet history, I’m starting to wonder if that’s desirable….

Although I personally prefer the new setup that preserves the actual
author, people whose mail systems enforce DMARC, which definitely
includes Yahoo/AOL and mostly includes Gmail, are going to lose a lot of mail.

On the IETF lists, we use a hack I developed that rewrites addresses in a way
that is intended to be reversible.  In my original version fred at yahoo.com
turns into fred at yahoo.com.dmarc.fail (yes, that's a real address) and in the
IETF's version it's fred=40yahoo.com at dmarc.ietf.org.

That works pretty well, give or take the rewritten versions getting
into people's address books, but it requires more mail system hackery
than we can expect ISOC to do.  So we're stuck putting the list name
on the From line.

R's,
John

PS: The commercial groups.io does something similar very well, but they're
kind of expensive if you have over 100 subscribers.