[ih] Email from Yahoo

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Feb 10 11:16:10 PST 2024

A few months ago, after getting tired of all the "I never got your
email" reports, I did a deep dive into email to try and figure out
what's happening.   I wrote one of the first email servers back in the
early 1970s, so I thought I might still be able to figure it out.

Bottom line - it's a mess.  I won't put everyone asleep with all the
details of the protocol alphabet soup, but here's the steps I did to get
my email working as well as seems possible now:

1) Verify that your own email is following all of the current anti-spam
schemes.  One easy way to test is by using the site
https://www.mail-tester.com/   When you go to that site it will display
an email address to you.  Don't close your browser, but start up your
email program on any handy device.  Using your regular email program,
send an email to that address.  Then go back to the browser after a few
minutes and click on "Test Your Score" to get your report.   If you
don't get a 10/10 score, fix whatever is wrong until you do.  Fixing may
require setting up appropriate SPF, DKIM, and/or DMARC records, which
you may have to ask your email provider's customer support to do.   In
my case, I had to switch email providers to one that understood what I
was talking about.   I now get a 10/10 on mail from jack at 3kitty.org.

Having done #1, the mail you send should now be fairly impervious to
various anti-spam filters that your mail may encounter in its travels.

However, that won't necessarily make your mail reliable when it passes
through "forwarders" such as this list, or googlegroups, or yahoogroups,
or group.io, etc.   You need to check each such list to determine how it
handles your mail as it gets forwarded to the addressees in the
associated list.

2) Determine whether or not your mail is altered in any way as it passes
through the forwarder.  If it is altered, it is no longer the same
message you sent.  Many forwarders change your message, e.g., by
deleting images, by adding some kind of "banner" at the top or bottom
identifying the list, changing the "from" field to indicate that the
message came from the list, etc.

If your message is altered in transit, there are consequences.  For
example, if you digitally "sign" your mail using PGP, the digital
signature will indicate to the recipients that the signature has been
forged.

3) Even if your message is passed through intact (as it appears Joe has
done for this list), it may be rejected by various recipients' mail
servers.   Your message appears to be from you (e.g., this one from
jack at 3kitty.org).  But the recipient server receives it from the
isoc.org mail server, rather than from the 3kitty.org mail server.   The
recipient server may discard your mail since it didn't come from an
authorized 3kitty.org sender.

As far as I have found, the only way to avoid such rejections is for
you, the sender, to change your SPF/DKIM/DMARC settings to authorize
each forwarder you use as a legitimate sender of your email.  For
example, I could add isoc.org as an authorized sender of mail from
3kitty.org.   However, if I did that, anyone could send mail from
isoc.org impersonating me.   That sounds like a bad idea.

4) If you have your own domain, you can get more information about how
your mail is being treated by the anti-spam mechanisms that mail
providers have put in place.  By setting up an appropriate DMARC entry,
mail servers for your recipients will send you email with reports on how
they handled email you sent to their mailboxes. Again, you have to work
with your mail provider to get the appropriate configurations in place.

I now get email from all sorts of mail systems, telling me how email I
have sent was treated when it arrived at its destination.   Much of it
still reports failures, e.g., because I haven't done #4, or because a
forwarder along the way has tampered with what I originally sent.

It will be interesting to see what this message triggers and what kind
of reports I get back....

Hope this helps someone,
Jack Haverty

PS - using "reply all" to list messages can cause confusion.  Your reply
may be sent not only to the list, but also to other addresses such as
the person who sent the message you reply to.   It's common to get the
same message multiple times - e.g., once through the distribution list
and once through a direct path.   One may succeed and the other fail, or
you might get both.  I'm not sure, but it also seems that some
distribution systems look at the headers and avoid sending a message to
someone if their address also appears in the To: or Cc: fields of the
message being processed.   That avoids some duplicates but can be
confusing when you don't receive what you expected to receive.   Like I
said - it's a mess...