[ih] patents and public stewardship

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Feb 5 19:32:22 PST 2024

It appears that Karl Auerbach via Internet-history <karl at iwl.com> said:
>On 2/4/24 12:35 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
>
>We are rather drifting away from my initial suggestion that rather than
>discarding IETF drafts after six months that we assign them to some nice
>non-profit qualified body (such as ISOC) to manage and to make a bit of
>revenue. ...

I think this would be an excellent time to stop and read RFC 5377 and
5378 which describe the rights the IETF has in contributions, and
the Trust's licenses described at https://trustee.ietf.org/documents/trust-legal-provisions/

The IETF Trust is not ISOC and is not the IETF LLC, and that's not an accident.

R's,
John